Sunday, October 24, 2010

Why am I doing this? Well here's your answer:

Looks like I'd better get things started. Today i have church, and I'm not at all close to being ready to leave. Last night was ...inspirational, nonetheless. Through music, I was given so much more motivation for my big adventure- Let me explain from the beginning:
Two nights ago, my wonderful mother took me and two of my older sisters to a concert that I deemed as one of the most inspiring, motivating, beautiful, elegant {did i happen to mention inspiring?} 2 hours of my life. It was a concert given by none other than Jón “Jónsi” Þór Birgisson. This little Icelandic man is so much more than a music maker. From romping syncopatic anthems to movingly enegmatic melodies, him and his group's music reaches deep down into the soul and awakens some form of appetite for adventure, and for me, the feeling that "we should all let go and live" as one of his songs "Animal Arithmetic" professes. I decided then and there- NOW is the time for me to give great regard to that lyric. AND that brings me to my point! {took a while didn't it...} So just last night I was listening to one of the extra songs that he {Jónsi} added to his concert playlist. All at once, I realized that this 'big adventure' goal of mine is completely reachable. So far I haven't realized any setbacks -apart from having no money to my name, and the language barrier- which I will begin to solve very shortly by job hunting {which i'm dreadfully }, and l will be on the lookout for ANY photoshoot opportunity I can grab at {maybe you could help?} along with taking little nibbles at learning the language everyday.
This all may sound quite silly and a little romanticized... but please realize I am extremely passionate when it comes to the powerful spirit of music, along with any other art-form... I have a feeling that it will be one of my main motivators. As a part of my goal, I plan on timing my trip to Iceland around the tour schedule of Jónsi's primary band 'Sigur Rós'' tour, so that i can fulfill another huge goal of mine, which is to see them play in their home country of Iceland.

Today: I'm going to start thinking of ways that will let me save and earn some extra money to tuck away into my 'Big Adventure' account {which happens to be a little porcelain box in my room}. If you have any tips or extra grand or even medium grand ideas to help me do this, please type some words in that little comment box... Much appreciated:)
-HayliJo Warburton

3 comments:

  1. Save your change. Not a quick fix, but it works. Over the past 6 years, I've saved over $5,000. I have another $500+ in my kitchen(53+ lbs. of change).

    Also, from what I've seen, you're a great photographer. Maybe try talking to people you know about taking pictures for them. Say, like $0.25 to $1 per picture, whatever you think is fair.

    As for the language, I've learned that translating music in that language to English is a great way to learn some new words. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Brad! I'll definitely try that out! And iloooove translating his songs. Sometimes it's very surprising ha:) to say the least. :)

    ReplyDelete